Norstar Development USA, L.P. has attained a variety of awards in the past several years, thereby significantly expanding its national recognition. Norstar has been ranked for the past five years among the top 50 Affordable Housing Developers in the country by the Affordable Housing Finance Magazine, and was most recently ranked 18th largest affordable housing developer. In 2009, Norstar Development was additionally awarded the 15th Annual Charles L. Edson Tax Credit Excellence Award under the category of “Public Housing Revitalization,” for its Gulf Breeze Apartments in Punta Gorda, Florida. This award was presented by the Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition (AHTCC).
Norstar USA has also achieved recognition for its preservation efforts by winning the Historic Albany Foundation’s 2014 Preservation Merit Award for Tax Credit Rehabilitation and Adaptive Reuse and the “Excellence in Historic Preservation” Award from the Preservation League of New York for its Academy Lofts project in Albany, New York. Norstar USA partnered with the Albany Housing Authority to revive this 127 year old building by reconstructing and restoring it back to its original charm.
Norstar has additionally achieved the National Green Building Standard® Silver Certification for its Pinellas Heights project in Largo, Florida and LEED Gold Certification for its Venetian Walk project in Venice, Florida.
Norstar USA’s extensive and proven track record as lead developer in the redevelopment of public housing is also evident by its additional notable recognitions:
• Venetian Walk, Venice, Florida: Recognized in the Affordable Housing Finance’s 2013 LIHTC Yearbook. Also ranked in the top 10 projects in the Sarasota to Manatee Category in the 2013 special edition of the Florida Business Observer’s 30 Top Projects from Tampa to Naples.
• Renaissance Preserve Senior, Fort Meyers, Florida: Received honorable mention for overcoming obstacles in the Journal of Tax Credit Housing’s 2010 “Development Distinction” competition.
• Arbor Hill Homes, Albany, New York: In collaboration with the Albany Housing Authority, received the Historic Albany Foundation’s 2009 Preservation Merit Award and New York State Association for Affordable Housing’s (NYSAFAH) “Award of Excellence” in May 2007.
• Norstar’s Gulf Breeze, Punta Gorda, Florida: Developed with the Punta Gorda Housing Authority, was recognized as the featured project in the November 2008 issue of Novogradac’s Journal of Tax Credit Housing.
• Frederick Douglass Towers, Buffalo, New York: Recognized by Fannie Mae as a top State public housing redevelopment and “…exactly the kind of business Fannie Mae wants to be in—helping to replace blight and despair with rebirth.”
• Ellicott Town Center, Buffalo, New York: Received finalist recognition for “Best Multifamily Rehabilitation” from the National Association for Home Builders, as well as a “Secretary’s Award for Excellence” from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.